Thursday, November 03, 2011

Curry flavoured Kabocha and Hijiki Sandwich

I had some kabocha squash left, not enough for a main dish, but enough for a nice sandwich filling :)
I used Myme's recipe from the cookpad site, a very helpful collection of recipes from different Japanese users.
But without further ado, here's the recipe, slightly adapted from Myme's.

Curry flavoured Kabocha and Hijiki Sandwich


Ingredients:

200 g kabocha squash, deseeded
olive oil for frying
2 g dried hijiki (algae)
~1/2 tablespoon vegan mayonnaise
1 teaspoon sweet curry powder (I used my new favourite one from Probio)
salt and pepper to taste
6 slices wholegrain toast
margarine
1 handful lambs lettuce, washed and patted dry

  • remove some of the squash peel (it is edible and gives a nice colour, so leave some dark green patches) and cut into cubes
  • heat the olive oil, add kabocha cubes and carefully tumble around until the squash is covered in oil, add some herb salt, turn down the heat and let simmer until becomes kabocha soft

  •  mash roughly

  • add crushed hijiki, curry powder, mayonnaise, and pepper to taste and mix well
  • Spread some margarine onto the toast, spoon some of the kabocha on it and add the lambs lettuce. Cover with the second slice of toast, cut diagonally and serve.

1 comment:

  1. I've had squash in a sandwich before, but never hijiki - will have to give this a go. And guess what I like slicing my sarnies diagnolly, even toast. I fussy that way.

    ReplyDelete